Translate

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Short Q&A With Carole Giorgio

   CAROLE GIORGIO 






1. Why did you start writing?
Because it’s what I do. I have been writing since grade school. Had my first poem published in Honor Society Booklet when I was 12. It just comes naturally and when I write, as when I read, I’m taken to wherever it is I am ‘visiting.’

2. If you had to do it all over again would you still write?
Absolutely!

3. Once you’ve written a story do you ever sit down and read it for enjoyment? 
Not really for the books, but maybe for the short stories and definitely for the poetry.

4. How did you start writing Xena fan fiction?
It was actually on a dare from a friend. When I first found out about FanFic I told my friend, “I can do that,” and she said, “Well, then do it.” So, I did.

5. Is your muse a constant companion, or does it abandon you for long periods of time?
She is usually a constant companion, but in 2001 our only daughter developed a glioblastoma multiform brain cancer tumor. Our world crumbled! My beautiful, smart, Nicole who had just become a speech therapist and who was looking forward to going into the Peace Corps and accepting her assignment in Africa had a terminal disease. She fought for 22 months and then lost her battle. I had lost my Muse, as well as my #1 Fan. Just when I thought it was time to tap the Muse again, I received a diagnosis of Stage III breast cancer – well, there went the Muse. She has finally returned this year, and I intend to put her to work! But I also have a little more help now; I have an Angel who has joined my Muse.

6. How do you feel about sequels?
There are three books in my Alex and Samantha series, Laguna Nights, Sedona Rain, and California Gold (which is not yet finished). Sequels can be difficult when you have to remember all the components to each story and all the characters as they continue on with their lives and new experiences, but the readers seem to love them so. . .

7. Is writing a quiet thing for you, where there can't be any noise or conversation going on?
I would probably say yes to that. When writing I usually unwind from the real world and go into a world of own. My favorite time to write is early, early morning like 1 a.m. or 2 a.m., and then there is being awaken from a deep sleep by the Muse to go write something down before being allowed to go back to slumberland.

8. Do you prefer to write/read romance, angst, horror etc, etc?
I prefer to write romance, poems, and fantasy. Reading has always been one of my loves, and I read quite a variety of genres such as detective, sci/fi, fantasy, and some horror. I enjoyed horror (King, Koontz, John Saul, Robin Cook) more when I was younger and not as much now, and never the really horror/horror like ‘Freddy.’ Reading detective stories is a new thing for me, but I really like James Patterson’s Women’s Murder Club;.  When younger I also read Shakespeare and a lot of the classics – but I always preferred the comedies to the tragedies. I loved Dune and the sequels, and anything Anne McCaffrey wrote. I have also always enjoyed self-help and personal growth-type books. I guess I could go on, but will stop now.

9. What usually sparks a story idea for you?
Could be anything, something I see, feel, desire, joy I wish to share, sorrow I wish to get rid of, questions I would like answered.

10. Where do your ideas come from?
Kind of the same answer from question #9.

11. What advice can you give to future writers?
If writing is your passion, be passionate about it. Don’t do it haphazardly, you will never be content with the outcome. If you want to write and need to write to complete yourself ~ then by all means write and continue to do so until you are all written out, and remember to write for yourself first. If you are not happy with what you write, no one else is going to be either and if you try to write just for others you are not going to be fulfilled.

12. What has the show Xena meant to you?
New friends, new interests, writing again, and a story line I absolutely loved!

13. How do you feel about the way it ended?
I absolutely Hated the way it ended; I cried for days (maybe weeks – yes, I was a Xena-freak!). The next day I posted my own ending to the show – “She Who Talks to the Air.” I really needed to vent!

14. How real are your characters to you?
When I am immersed in the writing they are very real to me, they have to be to have the feelings and experiences I want them to have. I do not want them to be shallow figments of my imagination, but complete individuals that readers can actually relate to and believe in.

15. Do your characters speak to you?
They do.

16. Are you in control of your story, or do the characters run the show? 
I’d say it’s a little of each.

17. Have you created a character that you would like to meet?
I believe I have met all my characters in the only way I need to meet them.

18. How would you feel about another writer giving one of your characters a cameo in their story?
If I am asked to grant permission and if the cameo is one that is positive, I see no reason to deny the request, it would even be quite an accomplishment for someone to think enough of my girls to want to include them in a story.

19. Has online writing changed your life in any way?
Yes, in so much that I have a large group of readers who are very devoted. They waited all through the troubled years of my daughter’s and then my own illness and they still write and ask if I am going to finish the third in the series that began with Laguna Nights. I feel extremely blessed to have them and have finally given them two new chapters in the nearly finished California Gold.

20. Have you ever been stalked on the internet by an overzealous fan?
Pretty close to it and it was close enough.

21. Which one of your online stories is your favorite? 
Of my online stories and not my published works, I would have to narrow it down to 2; “And Baby Makes. . .” and “She Who Talks to the Air.”

22. Do you have to do a lot of rewrites?
No.

23. Is there ever a point in your writing where you get stuck each and every time? How do you get out of it?
No

24. Which part of the writing process do you enjoy the most and why?
The actual writing because I feel as though I’ve accomplished something and the feedback from the readers because they let me know that although they are my characters and my stories they are very involved with them, appreciate the writing and desire me to continue.

25. When you're working on a story are you obsessed with it until it's done?
Not really.

26. Who are your favorite top five writers? Online or published.
Anne McCaffrey, John Saul, James Peterson, Piers Anthony, and Ann Rice.

27. The song says "Who rules the world? Girls." If that were true would the world be a better place?
I truly think it would be, once we get past sabotaging each other.

28. Do you write a story straight through, or do you write in pieces, then put it all together. 
Write it right through.

29. Do you read books for pleasure while you are writing? 
Yes, but I don’t read much lesbian fiction; I don’t want people to think I get my ideas from other authors.

30. Do you have a favorite Greek God? 
Not really but my favorite Goddess is Isis.

31. Do you have a pet peeve?
People who try to run other people’s lives without knowing the wherefores or the whys.

32. What do you see yourself doing in the future?
Writing more and becoming more accomplished doing so.

33. What is your favorite word?
Wow – that’s a difficult one. I love words and to pick just one is impossible.

34. What is your least favorite word?
Probably faggot (and I don’t mean a bundle of sticks).

35. What turns you off?
Mean people, especially to animals or children who cannot defend themselves.

36. What sound or noise do you love? 
My dog running in circles (his bell ringing) letting me know that Tricia is home.

37. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Being a regression hypnotist.

38. What profession would you absolutely not like to participate in? 
Anything to do with sports.

39. If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
I would want her to say, “Well, it’s about time – the rest of the group is waiting for you to go over what it is you learned this time around.”


 Here is Carole Giorgio's favorite story:
She who talks to the Air - 18 pages
Epilogue to A Friend In Need.
http://sedonarain.com/Other/shewho.htm

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, Carole Giorgio!

    Was it difficult to return to the Sedona Rain series after all these years? Have you found that your perspective on the characters and their story has changed or were you able to just step right in where you left off?

    Rio

    ReplyDelete