Translate

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Short Q&A With Darkenedkarma

DARKENEDKARMA


1. Why did you start writing? 
I continuously had ideas that wouldn't leave my mind. Finally, I wrote one down.  I've been writing ever since.

2. If you had to do it all over again would you still write?
Yes, I would. It's an outlet for myriad of emotions.  It's very therapeutic.

3. Once you’ve written a story do you ever sit down and read it for enjoyment?
No, I've never read my own work for anything other than editing.  That seems like it would be hubris run amok.

4. How did you start writing Xena fan fiction?
I read Xena fan fiction. I read it, therefore I write it.

5. Is your muse a constant companion, or does it abandon you for long periods of time?
My muse is a fickle creature.  She leaves me stranded constantly. Sometimes I have to write without her and hope for the best.

6. How do you feel about sequels?
I love to read sequels by some authors. My own stories seem very stand alone. I've done one sequel, but that was because I had somewhere to go with it. Romance is finite. Girl meets girl, they have some angst, they fall in love and done.

7. Is writing a quiet thing for you, where there can't be any noise or conversation going on?
I play music to get me into the right head space for the character or scene.  I love to write to music.

8. Do you prefer to write/read romance, angst, horror etc, etc? 
My favorite genre is sci-fi/fantasy/horror.  I think romance is in almost any well written story.  People want to read about love.

9. What usually sparks a story idea for you?
My dreams are fertile ground for ideas.

10. Where do your ideas come from?
Ideas come from my dreams, day dreams, mental meanderings, that sort of thing.

11. What advice can you give to future writers?
Don't think about it; just do it.

12. What has the show Xena meant to you?
I loved the show.  It was the first show with two female leads that I thought, yes, those two are going to end up together. They had chemistry.

13. How do you feel about the way it ended?
I was so dissatisfied! Truth is I was pissed.  After all those years of following the show religiously (everything in my life stopped for one hour a week) the writers strayed from the path; they let me down.  I'm still bitter.

14. How real are your characters to   you?
They are very real to me. In some small way they are all me.

15. Do your characters speak to you?
They never shut up!  It's like having multiple personalities.

16. Are you in control of your story, or do the characters run the show?
The characters run roughshod over me.  Sometimes they run my life.

17. Have you created a character that you would like to meet?
Oh, yes. I would love to meet Haniel. I want to know why, after years of watching people she had no clue about love.

18. How would you feel about another writer giving one of your characters a cameo in their story?
As far as I know, no author has done it with one of my characters.  It would be hard not to be flattered. It would mean my character, which is really a part of myself, meant something to someone.

19. Has online writing changed your life in any way?
Definitely. It's given me the opportunity to improve my writing. The feedback is awesome.  I've met some really great people through online writing.

20. Have you ever been stalked on the internet by an overzealous fan?
Actually, yes I have, very recently. She loved my story 'Believe' enough to start a dialogue that has never ended.  Originally, I thought she might be a bi-coastal serial killer. It was the way she approached me that set off my spidey- serial killer sense.  She said that she wanted to give my story to a friend who is a screen writer. It sounded odd; it was the opposite of luring me in to show me her etchings. My theory about her fluctuated between bi-coastal serial killer and rabid stalker for a while until I decided she was probably harmless. Then I gave her access to my facebook page. She raped it within a day. I should have expected it; she is my stalker. Despite her stalker like tendencies she's a huge part of my life despite being three thousand miles away.  We write and play.  Having a stalker isn’t so bad. (I’m not taking applicants at this time.)

21. Which one of your online stories is your favorite?
It's "Believe".  I loved it because it was a dream, a fully realized dream.  I loved all the characters the moment my mind introduced them to me.  Writing that story changed my life.  I believe in angels, miracles and magic; just as in the story, I believe that love is stronger than distance or time.

22. Do you have to do a lot of rewrites?
I have a lot of edits. I have many additions.  I rarely take anything out of a story.

23. Is there ever a point in your writing where you get stuck each and every time? How do you get out of it? The biggest hurdle is the first paragraph.  It sets the entire tone.  The characters and most of the story is in my head, but starting that first paragraph is very hard.

24. Which part of the writing process do you enjoy the most and why?
I enjoy writing my way out of difficult plot twists. It's enjoyable; like a puzzle, but without the possibility of some of the pieces missing.

25. When you're working on a story are you obsessed with it until it's done?
I think about it constantly.  It may be in the back of my mind, but it's always there.

26. Who are your favorite top five writers? Online or published.
Laurell K. Hamilton, Sydney Sheldon, K. Simpson, Gina Dartt, Anne Rice

27. The song says "Who rules the world? Girls". If that were true would the world be a better place?
I don't think the world would be better.  I believe it would be much different, but who could say if it would be better. It would be fun to see what would happen if girls did run the world. Hopefully pink would not be a national color.

28. Do you write a story straight through, or do you write in pieces, then put it all together?
I do both.  I often go back to add something into the story.  I've been collaborating with my stalker from question 20.  We've been working in pieces.  It's a challenge.

29. Do you read books for pleasure while you are writing?
Yes, I read while I'm writing.  I love reading more than I love writing. Reading distracts from my writing.  I think that's what my muse is doing when she has deserted me.  The evil bitch is reading behind my back.

30. Do you have a favorite Greek God?
Athena. Shouldn't she be everyone's favorite?

31. Do you have a pet peeve?
I suppose so, this question makes me crazy.

32. What do you see yourself doing in the future?
Later I plan to take a nap.

33. What is your favorite word?
Pulchritude - It's always seemed to be a great old fashioned word to describe attractiveness.

34. What is your least favorite word?
Rue - I despise the word. Rueful, ruefully, they all annoy

35. What turns you on? 
Typically the daylight shines through my window and wakes me up. Or, the alarm clock sounds.  Either way I get turned on for the day.

36. What turns you off?
I meditate to sleep. The off button is an elusive prize.

37. What sound or noise do you love?
I love the tweet noise.

38. What sound or noise do you hate?
The loud beep until I disable the alarm at my house drives me insane.  I've found that hitting it with my fist doesn't make it stop.  I have to hit the numbers in sequential order.

39. What is your favorite curse word?  
Until recently I didn't have a favorite curse word. Someone explained the versatility and necessity of using the word fuck.  That is now my favorite curse word.

40. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would love to be a stunt person. Sadly, I'm getting old and infirm.  I'll stick to what I do now.

41. What profession would you absolutely not like to participate in?
There are a number of those.  I watched the show about the world's worst jobs.  I have a list a mile long.  In fact, it's several miles long.

42. If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
"Oh, I didn't know you were coming." (I dislike sticking to a schedule.)



Here is Darkenedkarma's Favorite story:
Believe by Darkenedkarma - 29 pages
Haniel is an angel who has spent an eternity watching human interactions, yet who knows nothing of love. Lauren is a human who finds herself marooned in the Lower Garden of Heaven. Can a love between an angel and a human work out? And at what cost?

http://xenafiction.net/scrolls/darkenedkarma_b1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment