Translate

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Short Q&A With K Morgan

                                                                            K MORGAN



1. Why did you start writing?
It started as an experiment to see if I could do it. Then I accidentally deleted the first few pages, and I panicked. In my panic, I realized that what I had written mattered, and I immediately rewrote it in frenzy. The frenzy led to more pages than I originally had.

In time, I came to realize that writing was very liberating. Writing took me to a very special place which I liked. And as I continued to write, I discovered that I had a lot to say!

2. If you had to do it all over again would you still write?
Oh, yes! I have a lot to write about!

3. Once you’ve written a story do you ever read it again?
Always. For several reasons. One, I need to refresh my memory on names and data in the story to be consistent in subsequent stories. Two I’m a perfectionist. I read everything 100 times. And I hate myself when, still in the 100th time, I see a typo. Three I’m never satisfied, I always see room for improvement, and finally because I need to make sure that I feel the feelings I would like the reader to feel.  Emotions are important to me. I need to capture the readers’ heart.

4. How did you start writing Xena fan fiction?
I don’t write Xena stories, sorry.

5. Is your muse a constant companion, or does it abandon you for long periods of time?
It’s always there. My characters bring it out constantly.

6. How do you feel about sequels?
Great question, to one who has written several LOL and has read many.  Here’s my thought. I think a series has to end at a certain point.  I think the readers get tired of too much of the same. At least, I do. I think five stories is my limit. That’s why I’m ending my Karen and Addy series (Loose Change series) with the fifth story. However, the readers will know after the fifth story that I’m leaving many possibilities open. And most definitely, I hope they will be as surprised as I was with the ending.

7. Is writing a quiet thing for you, where there can't be any noise or conversation going on?
The world can fall apart, as far as I’m concerned. I have my own world at my fingertips.

8. Do you prefer to write/read romance, angst, horror etc, etc?
I writer romance and comedy, but I read everything.

9. What usually sparks a story idea for you?
Anything, really. Even your questionnaire here gives me ideas. LOL

10. Do you write a story straight through, or do you write in pieces, then put it all together.
I have it all in my mind. I know where I’m going, so I basically spill all my thoughts into the computer as a skeleton and then I put all the flesh to it as it comes to mind. Sometimes one idea brings another and another after that, and before I know it I have to begin another chapter.

11. What advice can you give to future writers?
Write! If you like what you wrote, continue writing. Then let someone else read it and find out if they liked it. Get their honest comments.

12. What has the show Xena meant to you?
Sorry, I don’t watch much TV.

13. How do you feel about the way it ended?
When we like something, we never like to see it end. I can sympathize with the feeling of loss.

14. How real are your characters to you?
They are as real as I am. Readers have often asked me if the series is real.  

15. Do your characters speak to you?
No, they speak to each other.

16. Are you in control of your story, or do the characters run the show?
They have their personalities. I let them be.

17. How would you feel about another writer giving one of your characters a cameo in their story?
Delicate subject. At the outset I will say that I wouldn’t want anyone using my characters without my permission or agreement. This subject came up in this collaborative story I’m writing with another author. We came to an agreement on how we were going to handle the interaction of our characters. In other words, we spent time setting ground rules. We both agreed to read and approve what we wrote. I think I’m territorial of my work and very respectful of other people’s work as well. The agreement has worked well. I’m sure my co-author will agree. In brief, I will never paint on your canvas, or add salt to your soup!
 
18. Has online writing changed your life in any way?
Yes, it got me to start writing.

19. Have you ever been stalked on the internet by an overzealous fan?
No. Actually, I’ve met fantastic people through my stories, by e-mail, of course. In fact, I attribute to my fans the fact that I’m still writing. I love their feedback and my interaction with them. They are real people with real compelling stories. I feel privileged when they’ve shared their stories with me because they say they can identify with some of the happenings in my stories. I feel accomplished when I get those comments. One reader once told me that I was hitting all the right subjects. That comment not only made my day, it also gave me a sense of commitment to keep it real. It would be an honor to meet some of them. I did personally meet one of them. She’s a terrific person, and I will forever be thankful that she is in my life.

20. Which one of your online stories is your favorite?
All of them. Really. I love my characters and their life.

21. Do you write your stories straight through or do have a lot of rewrites?
I constantly add and change things.

22. Is there ever a point in your writing where you get stuck each and every time? How do you get out of it?
If that has ever happened, I walk away from the story until something I see, or do brings me back.

23. Which part of the writing process do you enjoy the most and why?
When I get some wacko idea and I’m able to develop it. Like when Addy was learning to drive in Scotland and the herd of sheep made her go off the road and she ended up crashing into a cow and killing it. I bent over laughing as I wrote that part. I love to laugh when I write.

24. When you're working on a story are you obsessed with it until it's done?
No. I don’t obsess over it. Writing is a pleasure for me.

25. Who are your favorite top five writers? Online or published.
Missy Good and Carrie Carr got me started, but there are many good ones out there. My favorite is Radclyffe. A lot of people like her passion and intensity. I like the tenderness beneath the passion. I’ve also read many stories online that I’ve liked.  Some of them were much better than many that are actually published. Lois Kay is one of my favorites.        

26. The song says "Who rules the world? Girls." If that were true would the world be a better place?
Don’t know about that! Can I plead the fifth here?

27. Where do your ideas come from?
Anywhere. I once saw a huge dog in a farmers market, a Great Dane. That dog will be in one of my stories. Watch out for it!

28. What do you enjoy most about writing?
The absolute freedom to write anything I want.

29. Do you read books for pleasure while you are writing?
Interesting question. No. I have it as a rule. I do not read because I do not want to be influenced by anyone’s thoughts.

30. Do you have a favorite Greek God?
No. but if you asked me to pick one right now, it would be Poseidon. I love the sea.

31. Do you have a pet peeve?
I absolutely hate when people eat and make all sorts of sounds when they chew.

32. Have you created a character that you would like to meet?
Yes. I would not only like to meet her, I'm absolutely in love with her. Karen Larsen.  She's my goddess. There would be no series without her.

33. What do you see yourself doing in the future?
Besides sailing and riding my recumbent bicycle, I will write endlessly and maybe publish one day, when I can.

34. What is your favorite word?
Don’t know that I have one.

35. What is your least favorite word?
When people say “duh” I hate the word and its connotation. I find it totally disrespectful.

36. What turns you on?
Driving fast with the radio blasting, sailing, biking, feeling the wind on my face, good music, good wine and good company.

37. What turns you off?
Going to hospitals, or medical buildings. .

38. What sound or noise do you love?
The sound of silence. Like when you are motoring out on a sailboat, and then you raise the sails, and then turn off the motor….Aaaah silence!

39. What sound or noise do you hate?
Cars that make unnecessary noise.

40. What is your favorite curse word?
Fuck. (Especially in a Scottish accent!)

41. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
At work, I have to write constrained by laws, rules and regulations. Someday, I would like to write just my stories, for the fun of it, and according to what my heart dictates.

42. What profession would you absolutely not like to participate in?
High-rise window-washer, or subway-train operator. I don’t like extremes. LOL

43. If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
“You had me doubting, but looks like you made it.”  To which I will most likely reply (I always reply and question, God will not be exempt)  

“I’ve always believed in miracles, but are you sure I’m at the right gate?”  

**

Author's Notes:

As of yet, I’ve only written the Karen and Addy stories.  As noted above, there will be a total of five stories in the series. As for future projects, there is the story in collaboration with another author who also posts in the Academy’s web site. This story will be super fun.  I cried laughing, more than once, while writing parts of it. Yes, it is that fun! I love to add humor to my stories, and with this one, it just poured naturally. I also have a few more projects. One I already started. It’s based on a mature love. The others are still in developmental stages somewhere in my mind. All and all, I think that in the coming years you will be reading a lot from me.

I also have great appreciation to the folks who run the Academy’s web page for the opportunity of keeping the stories alive.

Here is K Morgan's Karen and Addy series aka The Loose Change series:
1) Turning on a Dime - 196 Pages
Karen needed a miracle when she fell in love with the wrong woman. The wrong woman was very wrong. Addy believed in miracles. Addy was the wrong woman. Could the wrong woman be the right one? Could Addy be Karen's miracle?
http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/k/kmorgan_turningonadime1.html

2) New Quarters - 270 Pages
After life turned on a dime for Addy and Karen, it took them to their New Quarters in Scotland. They are now together, they are in love and their lives are about to take a whole new turn when Addy has a bright idea that throws them into a new spin. What fun, drama, perils, and adventures could possibly be awaiting them as they face a new life together?
http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/k/kmorgan_newquarters1.html

3) One Little Bit
Can a woman get another woman pregnant? The answer is yes, and you will see how it happened here. Although Karen is the one having the baby, it's Addy who goes through nine months of intense labor. And then, when the little doll makes her appearance and turns into a vivacious, intelligent and adorable little tyke, the women realize that they got more than what they bargained for! Again be prepared to laugh and cry, as the lives of our favorite ladies unravel, now with the addition of their precious One Little Bit.
http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/k/kmorgan_onelittlebit1.html

4) Joint Venture (in progress)
Between raising Alex and racing a horse, Karen and Addy have their hands full. Then there is the matter of the fire and the dead bird in their front yard. Not to mention how a storm brings about an unexpected chapter in their lives. Will the women survive the growing pains? Will Alex be up to her challenges? Will Karen and Addy? And will JP ever change? Be prepared for new twists and turns -- you'll never guess what happens here! And.....for those who've wondered if the stories are real, you may be in for a surprise!
http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/k/kmorgan_jointventure1.html

All of K Morgan's stories can be found on her Author's page at the Royal Academy of Bards.
http://www.academyofbards.org/authors/kmorgan.html

No comments:

Post a Comment