Translate

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Short Q&A With Julia Noël Goldman

 Julia Noël Goldman 



1. Why did you start writing?
It was a requirement of my education, and the positive feedback I received for it was pleasurable.

2. If you had to do it all over again would you still write?
Of course.

3. Once you’ve written a story do you ever sit down and read it for enjoyment?
Yes. I enjoy falling into the little worlds I’ve created just as much as I do the little worlds of others.

4. How did you start writing Xena fan fiction?
I was obsessed with the show and wanted to investigate and share my vision of the romantic aspects of Xena and Gabrielle’s relationship.

5. Is your muse a constant companion, or does it abandon you for long periods of time?
I don’t believe in muses.

6. How do you feel about sequels?
All depends on whether I like them or not.

7. Is writing a quiet thing for you, where there can't be any noise or conversation going on?
Quiet is necessary.

8. Do you prefer to write/read romance, angst, horror etc, etc?
None of the above.

9. What usually sparks a story idea for you?
Usually it’s when I combine a few ideas in the correct fashion.

10. Where do your ideas come from?
My Enormous Brain.

11. What advice can you give to future writers?
If lots of people tell you your work is bad, it probably is.

12. What has the show Xena meant to you?
Really? Let’s just say there were a few years there when it was the most important, beautiful part of my life.

13. How do you feel about the way it ended?
I am still appalled. The whole point of Xena’s journey was that a person can live with the pain of their past, and then she just gives up on that whole thing and sacrifices herself for something that wasn’t her fault. Woulda been fine if it wasn’t the finale, but it was.

14. How real are your characters to you?
Very real, just like characters in other people’s work.

15. Do your characters speak to you?
Not to me. They kinda do what they do and I mold it into coolness.

16. Are you in control of your story, or do the characters run the show?
I write it and sometimes things just happen, and I turn it into what it looks like it needs to be. My characters are part of my unconscious, so we’re all me, and are revealed to me like unconscious things are.

17. Have you created a character that you would like to meet?
I like most of my characters, but I think I’d like most to hang with Kate from my unpublished novella “Tonight.”

18. How would you feel about another writer giving one of your characters a cameo in their story?
It would depend on the situation.

19. Has online writing changed your life in any way?
It’s allowed me to share my work easily with millions of people and get positive feedback for it, so it’s been a wonderful thing.

20. Have you ever been stalked on the internet by an overzealous fan?
Surprisingly, no.

21. Which one of your online stories is your favorite?
I’m gonna go with The House of Lao.

22. Do you have to do a lot of rewrites?
Rewrites are a necessary part of writing, so yes of course, I choose to make the story the best it can be.

23. Is there ever a point in your writing where you get stuck each and every time? How do you get out of it?
Work on another story.

24. Which part of the writing process do you enjoy the most and why?
When I’m on a roll, really into the piece, and it just comes out.

25. When you're working on a story are you obsessed with it until it's done?
Sometimes yes sometimes no. Depends how long I’m working on it.

26. Who are your favorite top five writers? Online or published.
I’m gonna go with William Faulkner.

27. The song says "Who rules the world? Girls." If that were true would the world be a better place?
I’m not sure girls would do a great job, but women, yes a much better place.

28. Do you write a story straight through, or do you write in pieces, then put it all together.
It depends.

29. Do you read books for pleasure while you are writing?
Not particularly.

30. Do you have a favorite Greek God?
Athena. Since forever.

31. Do you have a pet peeve?
Rudeness.

32. What do you see yourself doing in the future?
Becoming a famous writer.

33. What is your favorite word?
I’m gonna go with “appalling”.

34. What is your least favorite word?
Foodie.

35. What turns you on?
Good feelings.

36. What turns you off?
Cruelty.

37. What sound or noise do you love?
Purring.

38. What sound or noise do you hate?
Unnecessary honking.

39. What is your favorite curse word?
Fuck.

40. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I shoulda been a therapist.

41. What profession would you absolutely not like to participate in?
Ballet.

42. If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
“I’m sorry how bad life is on earth. There’s actually nothing I can do because I don’t exist.”


Here is Julia's favorite story:
The House Of Lao - 43 pages 
Travel to an alternate timeline where Xena and Borias stayed in Chin and ruled it with Lao Ma. Needless to say, Gabrielle shows up eventually, and nature takes it's course.
http://xenafiction.net/scrolls/xenas_little_bitch_thol.html

Julia's Links:
http://julianoelgoldman.com/wordpress/
https://www.facebook.com/JuliaNoelGoldman
https://twitter.com/Beautifala

No comments:

Post a Comment