Translate

Monday, October 21, 2013

A Short Q&A With Malaurie Barber

 MALAURIE BARBER





1. Why did you start writing?
I have been writing since I was a kid. I always like telling stories and it seemed like a natural progression to start putting them on paper.

2. If you had to do it all over again would you still write?
Absolutely

3. Once you’ve written a story do you ever sit down and read it for enjoyment?
Well, often I put the story away for a while when it’s finished and go back to it a few week after.

4. Is your muse a constant companion, or does it abandon you for long periods of time?
I write stories based on my life, so it really depends on what is going on at the time.

5. How do you feel about sequels?
I think they are great as long as the characters’ story can still be entertaining to the readers.

6. Is writing a quiet thing for you, where there can't be any noise or conversation going on?
I need silence.

7. What usually sparks a story idea for you?
As I said earlier, I take ideas straight from my life most of the time. In a Year in Paris, the main character is an au pair in France. I came to the US 20 years ago as an au pair and I grew up in Paris, France. Awakening is about someone who leaves her successful career as a real estate agent to become a yoga instructor. That’s what I did 10 years ago.

8. What advice can you give to future writers?
Don’t try to imitate someone’s style, just be yourself.

9. What has the show Xena meant to you?
Interesting question. My answer might be a little more personal than most people since I had an up close and personal experience with the show. I spent the first 3 years of my life in California living with Hudson Leick and going to Xena conventions with her. She is the one who introduced me to yoga and meditation, I became a teacher so I could help out during our yoga retreats. While our relationship didn’t have a happy ending, if it wasn’t for the show I would have never met her and change my life path. So I am very thankful.

10. Have you created a character that you would like to meet?
Yes, Aloke Redwood from Awakening. She is mysterious, sexy, spiritual and somewhat  conflicted.

11. How would you feel about another writer giving one of your characters a cameo in their story?
Honored

12. When you're working on a story are you obsessed with it until it's done?
Yes and no. I sometimes can’t stop writing for hours and suddenly the inspiration stops and I won’t be able to move the story forward for a few days.

13. Who are your favorite top five writers? Online or published.
I love Gerry Hills for lesbian love/suspense novel and David Ballacci for a good crime novel.

14. The song says "Who rules the world? Girls." If that were true would the world be a better place?
I think there would be less fighting in the world. Women would be less likely to send their children to get slaughtered in mindless wars.

15. Do you read books for pleasure while you are writing?
Absolutely. I love to read.

16. Do you have a favorite Greek God? 
No but I have a favorite Hindu God – Ganesh, remover of obstacles.

17. Do you have a pet peeve?
Dishonesty

18. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would have loved to be a spy.

19. What profession would you absolutely not like to participate in?
I would hate to be the president.

20. If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
Well, I don’t believe in pearly gates, but I’d like to hear ‘Good job, this time you got it right, so no need for another go around. Welcome home.”


Reading recommendation:
a year in paris
A Year In Paris - 138 pages  
What happens to Chloe Jones when she comes  to Paris to spend the year as an au pair, and is placed in the family of the very enigmatic Laurence Glairon?
http://thestoreelounge.wordpress.com/authors/a-year-in-paris-by-laurie-cambiermalaurie-barber/

No comments:

Post a Comment