Translate

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Xena's Funeral Dirge



On the soundtrack the song is titled Burial. It was composed by Lucy Lawless & Joseph LoDuca. The Funeral song was written and sung by Lucy Lawless. It was first used and sung by Lucy in the episode The Path Not Taken. She actually did sing it in all of the episodes it was in, except for the episode Seeds Of Faith when she lip synced it because she was pregnant. Below are the lyrics.

Abu eh.. abu eh id ma 
Stria arlia ajam 
Toddo no rabam 
Naim na em na 
Em do... 

Abu eh... abu eh id ma 
Stria arlia ajam 
Toddo no rabam 
Naim na em na 
Travial em donia 
Xena Burial Lyrics
Ravel a da 

Em de et jadde 
Nam nah em...



Story Recommendation

Fiction by Ana Ortiz
Have you ever wondered what would happen if Xena and Gabrielle ever realized that they were not real, but were fictional characters that can be placed in any situation by anyone that decided to write a story? Well, Anna Ortiz did, and this is how she thought it would play out.
http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/a/anaortiz_fiction.html

7 comments:

  1. I’ve never considered the fictional character self realizing! I thought this was a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why couldn't she sing because she was pregnant? I guess it must be the baby putting pressure on her diaphragm. Some women still sing when they're pregnant though. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy has said in commentary that it was because her brain was made of cotton wool due to the pregnancy and she just couldn’t manage it. :-)

      Delete
  3. Can anyone translate the song?

    Abu eh.. abu eh id ma
    Stria arlia ajam
    Toddo no rabam
    Naim na em na
    Em do...

    Abu eh... abu eh id ma
    Stria arlia ajam
    Toddo no rabam
    Naim na em na
    Travial em donia
    Xena Burial Lyrics
    Ravel a da

    Em de et jadde
    Nam nah em...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who's husband is iraqi. I text the song to her from youtube. And couple days ago. Her husband said the language is Armenian. But he doesn't speak the language. I thought the language was either hebrew or aramaic. Every times I listen to the song. Feels like I'm in ancient Greece. Theres another song Lucy Lawless sing in one episode"tales of two muses". And the scene is"Tara's dance"...the song is "Let the spirit move me". And with lyrics. And again when I listen to the song...I do feel like I'm in ancient Greece. I don't know how many times I listen to both songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ask for american translatin why ca t i get it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where were these lyrics taken from because they really miss what Lucy is actually saying. I was obsessed with Xena in 2007 and I could not find any lyrics so I had to transcribe what I heard her say. I did find evidence where Lucy Lawless came up with the song while she was out running and thus is not based on any actual language. I have noticed that some of the words resemble Te Reo Māori, an official language of New Zealand where both Lucy and I are from.
    For example, the first line does not sound like “ Abu eh.. abu eh id ma Stria arlia ajam “
    But actually sounds more like “awe aro wē na sthre aroha” Where awe means cloud, aro means take attention, wē means water, na is a particle like “it” and aroha means love. I doubt Lucy was directly inspired by Māori translation for the other possibly made-up words. But cmon, everyone in New Zealand knows that Aroha means love. It’s so common that I have some friends who have it for a name and schools and universities will use it interchangeably with love if they are trying to be PC.

    ReplyDelete